What is psoriasis
The psoriasis (psoriasis) is a non – contagious chronic skin disease that is manifested as peeling, rashes on the skin. Characterized by undulating course, with periods of remission (improvement), as well as periods of exacerbation. The disease can develop at any age, but most commonly psoriasis affects people of young age.
The intensity of psoriasis can vary greatly in different stages. The disease may affect only a small areas of the skin, or extends over the whole body. Often the disease progresses, patients report that with the passage of time (as the period of exacerbation) psoriasis affects a large area of the skin. In addition to the skin secret nail psoriasis, which can occur in isolated form.
Psoriasis – the causes of the disease
The cause of psoriasis is not known, but the disease may be immunological changes in the body (autoimmune aggression), neurological diseases, metabolic diseases. Contribute to the appearance of the psoriasis heredity, impaired immune system after illness, stress.
Date between the causes and factors development of psoriasis:
- Genetic predisposition (genetic theory of the development of the psoriasis). The likelihood of developing psoriasis is higher if a person's close relatives also suffer from this disease. Maybe a small group of genes are responsible for psoriasis.
- Neuro-soul surge (neurogenic theory for the development of psoriasis). It is known that the psoriasis triggered by extreme emotional upheaval. The stress itself is a serious factor in the development of this disease. People with psoriasis, stress can cause exacerbation of the disease.
- Hormonal disturbances. Changes in the endocrine glands may be the underlying mechanism in the development of psoriasis.
- A metabolic disorder (metabolic theory, the development of the psoriasis). Problems with the metabolism of certain vitamins, minerals (especially silica) may contribute to the appearance of psoriatic plaques.
- Parasites. Discusses the parasitic theory of psoriasis development, according to which the disease is caused by certain intestinal parasites. Numerous studies show that among people suffering with psoriasis, many carriers of different parasite infections. The scientists believe that a special role in the disease formation may play in the industry, Giardia, beef tapeworm, and others. It is believed that the toxic products that they emit, these parasites are strong allergens, because of the imbalance of the immune system.
- The viral infection.
Although the causes of psoriasis is not fully understood to this day, the drug has been known is the mechanism, the occurrence of pathology. Based on the appearance of arthritis rash violation of the immune system. The immune system cells will be aggressive on your own skin cells, which leads to the appearance of the psoriatic plaques.
The psoriasis symptoms
Psoriasis manifests itself in the appearance of scaly patches of red plaques that have a strong itch. The spots usually located in the skin, the scalp, the elbow, the knee, the areas of skin folds. Over time, the surface scales can be easily removed, the place where a denser scale, placed in depth. The progression of the psoriasis, there is a so-called phenomenon, Keb: the appearance of the psoriatic plaques in places, scratches or skin injuries.
Here are the symptoms, characterized by the different types of psoriasis:
- Psoriatic plaques in the form of it looks raised above the surface of healthy skin, red, inflamed, dry, thickened, warm to the touch of skin, covered with silvery-white scales (spots, psoriasis). The skin of this area prone to flaking. The location of the skin that will remain open in the red lesions, which are easily damaged and bleed. Psoriasis plaques usually fused with each other, increasing in size, forming a disk plaques ("paraffin ponds"). Psoriasis flexor surfaces peeling mild. While the red spots, which are located in the skin folds (groin, the area of the external genitalia, inner thighs, tummy, armpit).
- Guttate psoriasis is characterized by the large amount of dry, small, red or purple lesions over the skin surface, reminiscent of tears, or in a circle. These elements are noticeable in large areas of the skin. Guttate psoriasis often develops after suffering streptococcal infection (e.g. pharyngitis, or tonsillitis).
- Acne psoriasis looks like raised above the surface of the intact skin bubbles filled with clear content. Blisters surrounded by red swollen skin that easily bounce off. Nail psoriasis is characterized by the color change of the nail, the nail bed, the appearance of dots, spots, cross-stripes on the skin, thickening of the skin around the nail bed, thickening, and stratification of the nail, complete loss of nails.
- Psoriatic Arthritis is accompanied by inflammatory processes in the joints and connective tissue. Psoriatic Arthritis most commonly affects the small joints of distal phalanges of the hand, the leg, that arthritis dactylitis. Erythroderma psoriatic arthritis, seems to be widespread, desquamation, inflammation, desquamation of the skin on the large surface of the body, edema, pain, skin, strong itching.
Other symptoms of psoriasis include:
- bleeding in the area of the skin;
- the appearance of erosion, dimples in the nails;
- severe itching;
- possible joint pain, swelling.
The classification of psoriasis
The following types of psoriasis:
- the ordinary (or common) psoriasis;
- exudative psoriasis;
- arthropathic psoriasis;
- erythroderma psoriatic arthritis,;
- psoriasis, on the palms, soles;
- acne psoriasis.
The psoriasis occurs in three steps:
- Progressive stage of psoriasis. This is the first stage of the disease, characterized by fever, in which there is an increase in the number of fresh lesions.
- Stationary phase of psoriasis. This period is characterized by the preservation of the existing pattern of the disease. Rash, other symptoms of psoriasis no more, no less.
- Stage of psoriasis, which is retired. This is the final stage of the disease, where lesions are present.
Depending on the prevalence of the pathological process in psoriasis:
- restricted – affects smaller areas of the body;
- common – affects large areas of the body;
- generalized – affects almost all the body.
Depending on the season, when the disease is acute, psoriasis:
- winter – the psoriasis exacerbation usually occurs in the cold season;
- summer – the psoriasis exacerbation occurs in the summer;
- uncertain– when the periods of exacerbation of psoriasis is not associated with any season.
Diagnosis of psoriasis
To diagnose the disease a dermatologist on the basis of the characteristic clinical picture. To clarify the diagnosis using skin biopsy.
You can have a sun bath for 15 minutes daily. Should refrain from alcohol, avoid stress, watch your weight, a healthy lifestyle, to proper care of the skin.
The treatment of psoriasis
The treatment of psoriasis uses emollients, medications to restore the stratum corneum, topical preparations (ointments, creams, ointments), the content of glucocorticoids (hydrocortisone, prednisolone, dexamethasone), preparations containing zinc pyrithione cream that contains vitamin D3 analogues, tar, naphthalene, hydroxyestrone. The severe forms of psoriasis, the ineffectiveness of topical treatment, lesions of more than 20% of the surface of the skin required systemic drug therapy, which includes cytotoxic drugs (methotrexate), synthetic retinoids (retinol acetate, retinol palmitate, tretinoin), glucocorticoids, multi-vitamins (aevi, etc.).
A special role in the treatment of psoriasis should be given some biologically active substances, among which should be noted:
- Silicone. In recent years doctors are increasingly talking about the role of the silicon in the development of psoriasis. One component of the treatment of psoriasis, or medications and vitamin-mineral complex containing silicon. On the one hand, silicon improves the condition of skin, on the other – a acts as a., that shit in the antigens that play a role in the development of psoriasis.
- Vitamin D , As you know, one of the most important minerals necessary for a successful fight psoriasis calcium. However, the proper absorption of calcium need vitamin D the best vitamin products D insert to make the transfer after the active stage of psoriasis the patient.
- Fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids. To eliminate the inflammatory process in psoriasis is necessary to the intake of polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids, which is found in large amounts in fish oil.
- The lecithin. This material is necessary to the rapid restoration of epithelial cells, he was dying of psoriasis. Preparations lecithin allows you to quickly to manage inflammation and restore the integrity of the skin.
The non-drug treatment systemic photochemotherapy: ultraviolet radiation with a wavelength of 320-400 NM, the background of the reception photosensitizer (PUVA therapy). Also use cryotherapy, plasmapheresis.
The patients need to follow a special diet. Diet for psoriasis should be balanced. The patient should be excluded from the diet, refined foods, spicy food, sweets. You need to carefully monitor the health, and to avoid the cold, as any violation of immunity, especially the development of the disease.
Among the possible complications arthritis, depression caused by low self-esteem.
Prevention of psoriasis
To prevent the disease is impossible, but there are methods to ease your psoriasis symptoms, reduces exacerbations number. You need to protect your skin from drying, prolonged exposure to the sun, try to prevent damage to the skin. Avoid stressful situations, infections, medications that increase the manifestations of psoriasis (e.g., β-blockers, lithium), to stop Smoking, limit alcohol consumption. Don't forget that in the treatment of psoriasis should be left to the professionals. Psoriasis treatment at home, any self-medication the illness is not acceptable.